Celebrating diversity at the homecoming parade

The annual homecoming parade gathers people from all over the city of Toledo, representing all the diverse organizations and cultures at the university.

At this year’s parade, the Nepali Student Organization and the African People’s Association flew their native flags high, under the umbrella of the International Students Association.

Walking in the parade “preserves the culture of the University of Toledo as well as the international organizations,” said NSO president, Susmita Sharma.

The NSO has participated in the parade since 2010. Every year, Sharma loves seeing the joy on people’s faces and passing out candy to children.

Olalekan Madondola, ASO president, believes the parade “is a way to showcase the beauty in us as individuals and the diversity in the campus community.”

This year, ISA and the Center for International Studies and Programs collaborated and walked together in the parade. ISA has been a participant in the homecoming parade since it was established.

Munira Mohammad Taufik, ISA president, enjoys seeing students bond with each other and make important connections. She said she appreciates the various cultures and the togetherness in celebrating UT’s tradition.

The Center for International Studies and Programs fosters cross-cultural interaction, creating an enriched experience for all international students.