Editorial: At least we're not BGSU

The University of Toledo football team emerged victorious with a ninth straight win over rival Bowling Green State University in last Saturday’s homecoming game.

This dominance prompted the Independent Collegian staff to compile a list dedicated to UT’s triumphs over BG.

Here are our top nine reasons as to why UT is obviously the better school.

1. Our win streak. For the past nine years, UT has crushed BGSU in football, winning every head-to-head matchup. With the streak now nearing a decade, it seems as though the Falcons have accepted defeat. The all-time record between the teams sits at 40-39-4 with UT holding a one-game advantage.

2. Our colors. Toledo dons midnight blue and gold every game, while Bowling Green players outfit themselves in brown and orange. Are they trying to align themselves with the other mediocre Ohio football team that wears those colors?

3. Our nursing program. BGSU is so impressed by UT’s College of Nursing that it decided to send its students here for classes. The students enrolled in the program through BGSU remain Falcons, but we’re willing to bet that they’d rather graduate as Rockets after spending time on campus.

4. Our affordability. Schools.com ranked UT as the “best four-year college in Ohio for affordability, flexibility and student services” in 2017. In a world where students are drowning in debt, affordability is a welcome sight. Wherever BGSU landed in the rankings, we can be sure that it wasn’t at No. 1.

5. Our versatility. The University of Toledo offers 272 academic programs. A greater number of programs allows students more flexibility in finding where they fit. At Bowling Green, that number falls to 211. This isn’t the first time we’ve beat BG by at least 60.

6. Our location. We are proud to attend school in Toledo, and our proximity to the university’s reenergized downtown area expands opportunities for entertainment and employment. What’s the nearest city to BG? Toledo.

7. Our fundraising. BG held a #BGSUOneDay event in April 2017, raising $328,092 for the university. UT hosted its first annual Day of Giving in October 2017 and raked in $453,837. We’d call that a success.  

8. Our architecture. Built in 1931, UT’s University Hall showcases the beauty of our campus buildings. UHall’s bell tower is one of the most recognizable and photographed structures on campus. Certain falcons already approve; peregrine falcons have nested within the bell tower annually since 2007.

9. Our school spirit. While not quantifiable, anyone present at a UT sporting event can see the passion we have for our teams. The student section is regularly a sea of midnight blue and gold. How excited can the BG fan base get for a team that loses the rivalry game every year?

The list goes on, but we don’t have a large enough newspaper to accommodate every example of BG’s inferiority. You’ll just have to trust us.

T-O-L!