Mansfield: Connecting with campus

As many people know, homecoming is UT’s longest standing tradition.

Last year, as a first-year student, I didn’t really understand what college homecoming was or what it exactly meant. As a second-year student, I can proudly say that has changed.

I held the sponsorship chair for this year’s homecoming committee, and I learned a lot about what homecoming is through this position.

As sponsorship chair, I reached out to local businesses seeking sponsorship for this year’s homecoming and attended executive board meetings.

Through these meetings, the committee took our ideas and goals, and we developed them into wonderful events for the entire campus to enjoy during homecoming week.

This year we had events like Carnival on the Mall, Eat the Street, Ottawa and a Show and Big Top Bonanza.

A great thing about some of our events is that they were in partnership with other campus organizations. For example, Big Top Bonanza was also hosted by the Latino Student Union and the Black Student Union.

I have enjoyed the time that I have spent on the homecoming committee with my fellow members, and it has made homecoming 2018 even better than homecoming 2017.

During homecoming 2017, I attended the events and had fun like everyone else. However, this year, I attended the events and was proud.

It was surreal to see my fellow students enjoy an event that I remember as just handwriting on a whiteboard.

Being a part of this year’s homecoming committee has meant so much to me. It gave me a way to feel connected to campus and to be a part of something bigger than myself, and I was able to develop my leadership skills through this role.

So, what does homecoming mean to me?

Homecoming is a time to be proud to be a University of Toledo Rocket!

Homecoming embodies what it means to have school spirit.

Homecoming is a time to welcome home the people who came before us, the alumni, who used to be in our shoes not too long ago.

Homecoming is a time for Rockets to connect as a university, community and family.

What does homecoming mean to you?

Ashley Mansfield is a second-year nursing major.