Soccer has mixed results against Ohio and Kent State

Over the weekend, the University of Toledo women's soccer team fell 1-0 to Ohio University on Friday and tied with Kent State 0-0 in double overtime on Sunday. The results put the Rockets at 8-6-1 overall and 4-3-0 in Mid-American Conference play.

Against Ohio, UT got the offense firing early on with shots coming in the opening minutes from fourth-year captain Hannah Scafaria and second-year Sophia Lewis. The duo combined for five shots in the first 18 minutes but their opportunities were squandered by Ohio goalie Sydney Malham.

The Rocket defense held the Bobcats to three shots in the first half as the score was 0-0 going into the half.

Ohio jumped out early in the second half as they scored within four minutes.The Bobcats earned a free kick at the top of the 18-yard box. OU's Bryce Hueber fired in a shot that went past second-year Madison Perrin to give her team a 1-0 lead.

The Ohio defense came up big as they kept the Rockets off the board in the second half. UT’s best chance came in the 87th minute when fourth-year Kelsey Kraft ran in a ball left of net that Scafaria put in but the play was called offside, taking away the goal.

The match was Toledo's final regular-season home contest at Scott Park, with the team moving to the University of Toledo main campus next season. With today's result, the Toledo soccer program leaves Scott Park with a 113-64-12 record after 20 years.

Against Kent State, the match was a defensive showdown. UT went on the offensive, putting six chances up in the first 30 minutes.

Kent State registered four of its own, but none of the chances ever found the back of the net. Fourth-year Natalie Knauf fired a shot toward the end of the half that nearly went in but the chance missed the net. The score was tied going into the half.

Toledo came out hot in the second half. Scafaria and first-year Ashton Cassel shot back-to-back chances in the 60th minute but Kent State's goalkeeper Faith O'Neill saved both shots. The UT defense was solid in the second half, holding the Golden Flashes to one shot on goal.

In the first overtime, Scafaria put the only shot up in the period, a 95th-minute chance that O'Neill was able to lay out for. The second overtime period was more of the same. Kent State put two shots up in the closing four minutes, but both chances went high, keeping the score at 0-0.

The Rockets will close out the regular season on the road over the next two weeks. UT travels to Buffalo on Oct. 18, Akron on Oct. 21 and Bowling Green on Oct. 25.