Women’s volleyball outlasts Bobcats in five sets

The Rockets battled the Ohio Bobcats in a MAC showdown Oct. 13.

The contest began with a back-and-forth affair. The Rockets took the lead early in the contest and despite the first set being close, the Rockets never trailed in route to winning the set 25-22.

The second set went back and forth as there were eight ties and five lead changes. However, the game did not end well for the Rockets. The Bobcats rallied from a 23-21 deficit to win the second set, 25-23.

UT second-year Caleigh Barhorst was integral in the Rockets’ third-set win helping the team continue scoring.

With the fourth set looming, so was a close out for the Rockets. However, the Bobcats responded with their backs against the wall.

With a 10-2 lead, the Bobcats seamlessly won the crucial fourth set, 25-14, to send the game to a decisive fifth set.

Second-year Chloee Kleespies and third-year Zoe Birnbrich were vital for the Rockets in the extra set. The duo, along with Barhorst, put the Rockets on their backs in set five. The Bobcats would keep it close but ultimately the set, and the match, went to the Rockets, 15-12.

At 8-11 on the season thus far, and 3-5 in the MAC, the Rockets control their own destiny as the regular season winds down. Their next action will be at 6 p.m. Oct. 19 at the Stroh Center when they face off with rival Bowling Green.