Ayoub: Savoring the best season

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

At least, that’s what they say. For years, I didn’t really believe it. No more flip-flops, the days are shorter and no matter how many layers you wear, you’re still freezing cold.

How could there be anything likable about that?

They say that your body replaces itself every seven years. As a 21-year-old, I think I’m rightfully meeting my seven-year mark because I think I’ve fallen in love with the upcoming holiday season.

Halloween is almost here, and by the time November hits, the rest of the year seems to zoom by. But not before we as consumers get bombarded with Black Friday commercials and holiday sales.

This is not the only reason I love this time of year, but it definitely contributes. As someone who loves to shop, I always look forward to Black Friday.

But it’s not just the doorbuster sales that make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Enter December.

Ah, yes, let the endless reruns of holiday music begin.

You may not celebrate Christmas, but that does not mean you can’t enjoy the spirit that accompanies it.

There are countless classic Christmas movies to choose from, all of which usually allude to the same theme – families and friends coming together, setting aside their differences and being blessed to have each other to spend the holidays with.

Furthermore, most people this time of year are cheerful and just in happier moods in general. I feel like it brings out the best people – no one wants to be a Scrooge. People are giving gifts to those they care for and watching their faces light up with joy.

There are also so many wintery activities people can indulge in, from ice-skating to sledding to snuggling up in a blanket with some hot cocoa and friends while the world outside the window is crisp with snow.

Let’s not forget that no matter how old you are, it will always be fun to play in the snow with family and friends.

As an adult, I think my newfound love for the holidays and crisp, cold weather stems from enjoyment of “family time” that I took for granted growing up.

With all the disagreements people have with one another, the holidays are time where we spend our moments with people we care about and value their company.

Though it all sounds cheesy, it truly is a magical time that we should savor every year.

Samar Ayoub is a fourth-year biology major.