Clifton: Fortnite fever

We are in the midst of an epidemic that has been sweeping the globe: the Fortnite fever.

This infectious video game has captured our loved ones’ attention, and we demand it back.

Fortnite was released in “early-access,” meaning that it was technically still in development last summer. Fortnite is a survival game where players collect materials and weapons and build protective fortification for themselves to stay alive as long as possible.

A few months after the launch, Fortnite Victory Royale was released, a free mode that uses the same concepts as the original game, but it is now online.

Up to 100 real players begin on the same map. To make things difficult, safe zones get smaller and smaller, which forces players closer to each other. The building materials collected along the way allow players to create platforms or walls to see better or hide from the enemy. The last player standing will be crowned winner.  

As of January, Fortnite had around 45 million players across all platforms.

Due to the game’s competitive nature and lack of expense, the fever has spread quickly.

Whether you’re a hard-core gamer or not, it seems that everyone who comes in contact with this game immediately begins to show symptoms of the Fortnite fever.

A symptom you may notice is angry yelling or loud outbursts during gameplay. As the fever progresses, these outbursts could be a form of celebration as well.

Another indication of this illness is lack of sleep. Those infected spend much of their time repeatedly trying to be crowned winner rather than getting the rest that they need.

One of the most common signs of Fortnite fever is extreme addiction. If you recognize that your loved one is playing Fortnite obsessively, they most likely have caught the bug.

Because of this developing addiction, we often notice loved ones losing complete contact with those infected. Many have reported that they no longer receive calls or texts in a timely manner due to this game. It can be difficult to receive any type of response from an individual in play.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no known cure for the Fortnite fever.

All we can do right now is hope that this epidemic subsides soon so that our loved ones can return to normal.

Riley Clifton is a third-year communication student.