Women’s soccer goes 0-2 against Buffalo and Akron

Over the weekend, UT's women’s soccer team fell 1-0 in double overtime to Buffalo on Thursday and 1-0 against Akron on Sunday. The defeats dropped the Rockets to 8-8-2 overall and 4-5-1 in Mid-American Conference play.

Against Buffalo, goalkeeper Madison Perrin made a season-high nine saves in the match.

“We played hard, but we just didn’t get in a great rhythm on the offensive side,” head coach TJ Buchholz said. “Both teams played strong defensively and Buffalo was able to finally score on us on a corner kick. It is a tough loss, but we have to bounce back against a good Akron team on Sunday.”

The Bulls fired five shots in the opening 30 minutes and allowed only one Rocket shot to be on goal.

The second half was more of the same with UB putting up eight shots on goal in the first 15 minutes. Perrin was strong in the net though and made five saves in the half to keep things even at 0-0. 

Captain Alena Sidwell and second-year Sophia Lewis challenged Buffalo goalkeeper Emily Kelly toward the end of the half. Kelly saved each shot and the score remained knotted up as time expired.

The first period of overtime was a defensive battle. Buffalo’s Gurjeena Jandu and Marcy Barberic put Perrin to the test in the 94th minute and 99th minutes, respectively. UT captain Hannah Scafaria fired a shot in the 99th minute as well that Kelly saved, sending the match to the final period of OT.

The second overtime period was over fast as UB won a corner. Hannah Callaghan settled the ball and took a rip that bounced off the post, but UB’s Gianna Yurchak was able to follow up with a header that slipped past Perrin, securing the victory.

Against Akron, the Rockets were on the offensive early, keeping the ball in Akron's side of the pitch throughout the opening minutes. UT’s best chance of the half in the 40th minute when Lewis sent in a cross that was meant for Scafaria, but the shot missed.

UT drew a free kick at the top of the 18-yard box with 11 minutes to go in the half. The resulting chance was a shot that second-year Perrin pushed over the crossbar to keep the score tied at 0.

Akron won three corners following the chance and the UT defense shut down all of them, with Perrin flying up and punching away the final kick in, keeping the score, 0-0.

Akron opened scoring in the second half thanks to Sydney Worthy. Worthy headed a ball through the legs of Perrin to put her side up 1-0. 

The Zips had another chance with 18 minutes left to go when Shea O’Brien fired a shot from 25 yards out. Perrin was able to keep the ball out of the net.

UT was unable to find the back of the net on four straight chances.

The Rockets will return to the field for the final match of the regular season on Thursday when they face off against Bowling Green at 3 p.m. Oct. 25 at Cochrane Field.