Haunted house returns for annual fright

With an amalgamation of ghosts, ghouls and clowns, Campus Activities & Programming committee and

volunteers from Greek life suited up to scare community members at their annual Haunted House Oct. 26.

Screams and laughter were heard throughout Savage Arena. Before 7 p.m., children had their own shocking trail alongside the Tricks, Treats and Dunks annual event.

Children along with parents received treats and candy along with the chance to meet Rocket basketball coaches and players.

However, after 8 p.m., the scare factor was raised for UT students with volunteers putting on even scarier costumes.

The haunted houses are known for scaring people senseless each year with jesters wielding deafening chainsaws and blood covered spirits.

So scary, that some volunteers are consequently maimed for their talent at scaring other people.

“Some of the volunteers are actually hit during the event,” Samantha Heitzenrater said. “Two of them were punched by the same girl.”

No serious injury has ever occurred during these events or serious situation has ever occurred during the evening's festivities.

One of CAP’s biggest events of the semester wasn’t always hosted on a big stage like Savage Arena. The event once used to take place in Rocky’s Attic on the fourth floor of the Student Union.

The event progressively grew to be held in the Universities’ Recreational Center and for the past three years remained in Savage Arena.

Different companies have partnered with CAP to assist with the event each year.

“I think the structure has changed,” Kelsey O’Brien, graduate assistant to the Office of Student Involvement and former president of CAP, said. “I think they’ve finally found a company that they really like and are easy to work with and they switch it up and like the company will do different stuff every year.”

This year Simplified Entertainment provided their services to CAP providing props, tents and vinyl fabrics to host the creepiest Haunted House possible.

Campus Activities & Programming looks forward toward next year’s Haunted House with brand new bone-chilling aesthetics to continue to serve UT’s students with fun and sometimes horrifying activities.