Sanders: Pain in my ads

November 7, 2018

As another year of midterm elections comes to a close, the city of Toledo is treated to a spam of campaigning advertisements to its screens.

From the television to our handheld devices, the campaign advertisements for Richard Cordray and Mike DeWine are inescapable.

Social media, YouTube videos and your favorite television programs host a plethora of campaigning advertisements, and it gets annoying.

I understand the necessity of getting an edge on your competition by reaching a vast audience through social media and public streaming.

However, when I see the same campaign advertisement 50 times about union blue-collar workers supporting Ohio’s Democratic candidate, I literally want to vomit.

I think politicians believe that spending large sums of money on campaign advertisements and reminding people the reason they’re the best candidate on the ballot has a positive effect.

The attempt on programming our brains will enslave us to cast our vote toward their political agenda. However, I think the advertisements have opposite effects.

After bombarding people with the same advertisement over and over, it makes some want to vote for a candidate less and less.

As a person who leans more toward the left on most issues and candidates, I felt myself wanting to drift toward the right regarding my vote.

This weekend, I could count, on one hand, how many DeWine advertisements I saw. Yet, over a dozen campaign advertisements for Richard Cordray appeared on my social media feed and on television; it was ridiculous.

Politicians focus too much of their campaign strategy and funding advertising strategies than coming up with legitimate strategies run our government more effectively.

Connecting with the people is a way better strategy than promoting your campaign on the internet. Spend more money on rallies and buying donuts for the people than flooding my Facebook feed.

Furthermore, if these politicians insist on making promotions to continually annoy me for a month, at least take the time to fully explain what issues you support.

Most of the advertisements are wasted on bashing opponents rather than actually arguing the issues they pledge to care about. The majority of the advertisements I saw last weekend didn’t promote their agenda, so how am I supposed to understand why I should vote for them?

Accessibility is the key to any campaign race. I shouldn’t have to wait for the mail to come the day of the election to know what each candidate stands for.

I’m optimistic that one day a politician will clean up their act and run a less advertised and more “by the people, for the people” race. Until then, I’ll keep my bathroom breaks longer when the news cuts to commercials.

Will Sanders is a fourth-year communication major.