Women's basketball drops opener against Maine

November 13, 2018

The Rockets were unable to secure a victory to open their regular season against the Maine Black Bears on Saturday afternoon. The game took place in the home of the Black Bears, Cross Insurance Arena. The final box score was 73-59, with Maine outscoring Toledo in every period except the last.

The first quarter of the game was characterized by the lights-out shooting of Maine fourth-year Parise Rossignol, who drained three shots from beyond the arc in under a minute.

Rossignol would go on to score 5 of 7 total 3-point attempts, with four of these coming during the first quarter. Toledo fought back to bring the score to 11-8, but a quick score from Maine, followed by another long-range shot from Rossignol would leave the Rockets trailing 18-13 to close the first quarter.

The second quarter began with yet another pair of triples from the Black Bears, extending their lead even further. Toledo fourth-year Kaayla McIntyre had an impressive performance in the second quarter.

In spite of the relentless three-point shooting from Maine, McIntyre was determined to not let the whole game slip away. McIntyre scored 14 points in the first half of the game, making roughly 64 percent of her attempted shots.

This spirited performance kept Maine honest on defense and prevented the Black Bears from running away with game prior to the halftime break. Halftime began with Maine leading 43-28.

Three-point shooting, or lack thereof was a defining part of the first half, with 24 of Maine’s 43 points coming from three-point land. On the flip side, Toledo was held to only one of six three-point attempts before the half.

Maine continued its stellar ranged performance with another deep bucket finding the bottom of the net early in the third quarter from Maine third-year Fanny Walding. Another quick score would see the Black Bear lead quickly pushed to 20.

Toledo quickly responded with a 10-2 run of its own to shorten the Maine lead to just 12.  Undeterred, Maine third-year Blanca Millan contributed nine unanswered points to an overall 10-0 run by the Black Bears to extend their lead to 22.

The Rockets managed to score three more points of their own just before the end of the quarter to cut the points differential down to 19.

The Rockets continued to fight into the fourth quarter, despite Maine twice extending its lead to 27 points, the largest gap between the two teams that night.

The Rockets would score the last 13 points of the game to bring the total Maine lead down to 14 before the game clock expired.

At the end of the game, Maine had taken almost three times as many three pointers as Toledo and made over four times as many. McIntyre had a stand-out performance this game, scoring an impressive 24 points with a 55 percent shooting statistic.

Overall, the Rockets were unable to walk away with a win to start their season. Toledo takes on Iona at 11 a.m. Nov. 14  in Savage Arena.