Clifton: Mark down Christmas

December 4, 2018

During the holidays, we have a chance to take a break from our busy lives and get together with the people who mean the most to us.

Of course, spending time with our people is the best part about the season, but presents are a pretty awesome addition to the holidays.

Unfortunately, purchasing Christmas presents can really put a kink in a college student’s bank account. We can barely afford our everyday expenses and now we are trying to squeeze presents into our budget too.

Here are some gift tips for your favorites that won’t break the bank.

As elementary as it sounds, a homemade gift might be the way to go. Regardless of your age, your family will eat up a handmade present.

It may sound cliché, but it’s truly the thought that counts.

It’s time to bust out the craft supplies and make an original card. Watch some DIY videos on YouTube. Scroll through Pinterest. You’ll catch the craft bug in no time.

Your loved ones will adore the authentic gift, and you’ll save some cash too.

Another way to get the best bang for your buck during the holidays is catching the seasonal deals.

Look out for the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Although Black Friday has already passed this year, make a mental note for next fall. During this time, you might be able to score a really great gift for the fraction of the price.

Although Black Friday is a great time to purchase those perfect, yet expensive, presents, I would not recommend going Black Friday shopping without a set budget or a specific deal in mind.

I have learned from my own experience that Black Friday shopping without a plan can be dangerous. Every store appears to have some ridiculous deal that you can’t seem to pass up.

In the end, you’ll find yourself spending way more money than you planned on stuff you probably shouldn’t have purchased in the first place.

This isn’t what you want to hear, but another way to avoid breaking the bank during the holidays is cutting back on those “treat yourself” moments.

This isn’t always easy to cut cold-turkey, so try reducing the amount of money you spend on those things. If you’re someone who must get your Starbucks every morning, try getting a smaller size or a cheaper drink.

Also, try to avoid eating out before the holidays. Instead, take the time to buy groceries and cook up your favorites at home.

These small changes you make in your everyday “treat yourself” moments can save you lots of cash that you can put toward your loved one’s Christmas gifts.

You don’t have to spend loads of money on holiday gifts to show those around you love and

appreciation.

Not everyone is in the position to spend tons of money during the holidays. Simply putting time and effort into a gift will always outshine those pricey presents.

Besides, it’s the thought that counts.  

Riley Clifton is a third-year communication student.