Editorial: What not to do during finals

December 5, 2018

Even though it feels like this semester just started, we are already knocking on the door of finals week.

Oftentimes during finals, professors advise students to study, parents suggest their children get enough sleep and friends convince each other to stay out until 3 a.m. the night before an 8 a.m. final.

All excellent pieces of advice, to be sure.

However, you’ve heard all that before. We’re here to tell you what you should not by doing during finals week.

1. Don’t discount others because they don’t have as many exams as you. We’re all overloaded with work, OK? Just because a humanities major doesn’t have a formal exam during finals week doesn’t mean he/she didn’t spend hours agonizing over a 10-page final essay. There’s plenty of stress to go around.

2. Don’t wake up your roommates when you’re pulling an all-nighter to finish a final paper. Should you be staying up all night to write a paper? Probably not, but that ship sailed when you failed to start it two weeks ago. Do what you have to do, just be quiet about it.

3. Don’t be that person who asks for extra credit on the last day of class. Let’s be honest; you probably knew on syllabus day that this class might not go well for you, and you should have inquired about extra-credit opportunities then.  

4. Don’t melt into a puddle of stress. We understand the inevitability of stress during finals, but once you’ve done all you can to secure your grade in a class, let it go. There are other things in your life that you can control and that deserve your attention.    

In all seriousness, though, UT has some valuable resources that all students should be taking advantage of during finals season.

For example, the UT Counseling Center is hosting a “De-Stress Fest” from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Dec. 5 in Rocket Hall. There will be aromatherapy, puzzles, coloring, pizza and a chance to make your own de-stress ball.

The International House Hall Council will host a “Cocoa and Cram” event 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Dec. 5 in the I-House cafeteria to include coloring, word searches and other relaxing activities, along with a hot chocolate bar, pizza, snacks and drinks.

The Student African American Brotherhood and the Black Student Union are also hosting an “The Final Hangout” from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Dec. 5 in Phoenicia, on the fourth floor of the Student Union for students to play video games, sing karaoke and indulge in free food. The organizations will also be offering tips to help students de-stress.  

If you want to get off campus, UT Campus Activities and Programming is selling tickets to attend the Toledo Zoo’s Lights Before Christmas for just $5 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Dec. 7. Students must ride the bus to the zoo, which will leave at 6 p.m. from the Student Union Bus Loop and return around 10 p.m.

For more campus gatherings during finals, refer to InvoNet and click on the “Events” tab.  

Struggling students can also meet one-on-one with a Success Coach by stopping by Rocket Hall 1830, calling 419.530.1250 or emailing coaches directly to set up an appointment.

For help on assignments, go online to make an appointment in the Learning Enhancement Center or the Writing Center, both located in the basement of Carlson Library.

Stay strong and good luck, Rockets! We believe in you!