Women's basketball goes 2-0 against Belmont, Memphis

December 4, 2018

The Toledo Rockets walked away with another win after a victorious game on Thursday against the Belmont Bruins at the Curb Event Center. UT won 78-69 to edge out the Bruins in Thursday’s contest.

A thunderous offense was key in scoring a win on Thursday, and the Rockets did not disappoint. Five Rockets broke the double digit scoring mark during the game, with one player, third-year Mariella Santucci, crossing the threshold of 20 points.

Toledo also had an efficient scoring night, shooting 44 percent overall, and draining 40 percent of its attempts from beyond the arc.

The Rockets didn’t cool down on their defense either, causing 12 turnovers throughout the game. Toledo would go on to outscore Belmont 20-9 in terms of points off of turnovers in the game, proving the team’s threat at both ends of the court.

Toledo secured victory off the back of an impressive late game display in the fourth quarter. After ending the third quarter tied, the Rockets started a march toward victory by securing the lead with a little under eight minutes of play left. They would not surrender this lead for the remainder of the game.

UT notched to another victory last week, this time with a win against Memphis Dec. 1 at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse in Memphis, Tennessee. The Rockets put on an impressive show and walked away with a 58-48 victory.

The UT offense was again a fundamental part of the victory for the Rockets, outscoring their opponent in every quarter except the third. Fourth-year Mikaela Boyd led the way this time, scoring 15 for Toledo with 55.6 percent of shots made. Boyd also racked up four assists and four steals, proving to be a threat in many aspects of the game.

The Rockets once again proved their defensive grit by outscoring their opponent in points off of takeovers for the third time in their last three wins. Toledo also held their opponents to a 30.2 percent shooting percentage for the entire game, and only allowed them to make three of their 16 attempted three pointers.

Memphis brought the game back several times and tied the game briefly in the fourth quarter. Toledo didn’t give in, however, and each time Memphis got the game close, the Rockets successfully secured a lead. Finally, following the fourth quarter tie, the Rockets found a lead they could hold for the rest of the game.

Both wins last week brought the Rockets season record to 5-2, and extended the current win streak by two to a grand total of three in a row. This three-game winning streak is a welcome oasis in the middle of a five-game road run for the Rockets.

This week the Rockets hope to extend their winning streak against the Cleveland State Vikings at 5 p.m., Dec. 2 at the Wolstein Center in Cleveland.