Women’s basketball winless against Miami, KSU

January 15, 2019

The Toledo Rockets suffered a close defeat on Wednesday against the Miami Redhawks at Millet Hall in Oxford. The Rockets fell just short of success against their fellow MAC team with a 65-64 score line.

Fourth-year Kaayla McIntyre had a stand-out performance, scoring 23 points, the most in the game, as well as grabbing 9 rebounds. Third-year Sara Rokkanen and second-year Nakiah Black came off the bench to score a combined 23 points.

The Rockets found the bottom of the bucket on 25 of their 55 attempted shots giving them a solid 45.5 percent shooting percentage. In comparison, Miami scored on 25 of their 61 for a shooting percentage of 41 percent.

Even though UT managed to hold a slight edge in overall shooting percentage, the Redhawks had dramatically higher 3PT percentage as well as free throw percentage, giving them the extra point to win the game.

The game remained close in score throughout the entirety, with the Miami Redhawks being the only team to enjoy a double-digit lead, and even then, only for a few minutes in the second and third quarters. This would lead to a nail-biting final few seconds ending with an incredibly close one-point difference.

The Rockets were again unable to seal the deal later in the week, this time against inter-conference enemies Kent State at home in Savage Arena. UT found themselves trailing by double digits against the Golden Flashes when the final buzzer sounded.

Rokkanen and McIntyre once again gave impressive performances, scoring 12 and 11 points respectively. Despite this contribution, Toledo was only able to score on 31 percent of its total shots taken, leading to a disappointing overall box score.

One glaring difference between the two teams was scoring from the charity stripe. The Rockets took seven shots from the line and capitalized on five of them for a 71 percent free throw percentage. In contrast, the Golden Flashes scored on 14 of their 20 free throw attempts, ending the game with 70 percent free throw percentage.

Despite the relative similarity in percentage, Kent State spent far more time at the free throw line, and ended up making the most of that opportunity to sustain its lead throughout the game.

Kent State held the lead for the majority of the game, ending the first half of basketball ahead by eight points. The third quarter began with Toledo firing back, cutting the Kent State lead down to just two before the fourth quarter started.

Kent State came charging out of the gates for the fourth quarter with an impressive 13-point run, securing the lead for the remainder of the game. The Rockets were eventually able to work their way back to within just 6 points of Kent State with 1:41 left to play, but that is as close as they could get for the remainder of the game.

This loss brings the Rockets to an overall record of 9-5 overall, and a conference record of 1-2. The Rockets will take on fellow MAC West competitors Western Michigan at 7 p.m., Jan. 16 at Western Michigan.