Editorial: New to Toledo?

January 16, 2019

Has it been four weeks already?

We’re so excited to be back on campus providing news for all Rockets, including the new faces in the crowd.

Whether you are beginning as a freshman or coming to UT via transfer, we know it’s not easy to start over, especially in the middle of the academic year.

But, never fear! The IC has compiled, just for you, a list of resources to help you adjust to life as a Rocket.

1. Join an organization. Just because it’s not the start of a new academic year, that doesn’t mean you can’t get involved in a group on campus.

Check out InvoNet, Toledo’s student involvement network, for meetings and events going on around UT.

You might just find the perfect organization for you and some new best friends.  

2. Consider going Greek. Many students at UT find their place in Greek life.

Luckily, you don’t have to wait until fall to get involved; several fraternities and sororities hold rush week events and welcome a new pledge class in the spring.

3. Take advantage of commuter resources. If you’re a transfer student residing off-campus, don’t think that you have to live in the library when you’re not in class (unless you want to).

Take a trip to Student Union room 2505 and check out the Commuter Lounge, which is designed to give commuter students a place to engage with other students on campus.

Amenities include study areas, lockers, couches, a refrigerator, a microwave and charging stations. Staff members are also on hand to answer any questions you may have.

4. Utilize the Learning Enhancement Center and the Writing Center. Located in the basement of Carlson Library, the LEC and the Writing Center both provide supplemental tutoring services at no cost to students wanting some additional help with coursework.

Students can attend tutoring sessions by appointment or during select walk-in hours. For more information regarding specific subjects and hours, refer to the LEC and Writing Center websites.

5. Contact your success coach. Although you may try your best to make your first semester at UT go as smoothly as possible, there may be a few bumps along the way. Fortunately, your success coach has your back.

The university assigns a coach to every student upon enrollment at UT to help facilitate an enjoyable college experience.

Reach out to your coach with any questions you may have about studying, stress, courses, campus involvement, finances and so on. If they can’t help you directly, they can connect you with someone who can.

Pay them a visit in the Center for Success Coaching, now located in Rocket Hall.

As intimidating as it can be to start over in a new place, UT has the faculty and resources to ensure that you have a successful first semester.

So, welcome, new Rockets! We hope you enjoy your time at UT!