Men’s basketball dominates Bobcats in MAC play

January 22, 2019

UT’s men’s basketball team hosted the Ohio University Bobcats, who were looking for a road win. 

Everybody got involved in the scoring for the Rockets, but in the early stages of the game, Luke Knapke came up huge. Knapke drained seven shots in the first half and helped boost the Rocket lead to as much as 23. Jaelan Sanford and Marreon Jackson also contributed to the first half.

The Rockets held a 41-27 halftime lead, but the Bobcats attempted to chip away at it. The early stages of the second half featured a Bobcats team scraping to come back. However, between the efforts of Jackson, Sanford and company, the Bobcats’ comeback attempt fell short.

The Rockets got their lead back up to 22 late in the second half due to the collected efforts of multiple players. After outscoring the Bobcats 34-25 in the second half, the Rockets came away as victors in a 75-52 win and moved their record to 15-3 on the season. 

Knapke led all scorers with 16, followed by Sanford and Jackson who each had 14. Nate Navigato, the team’s longtime sharpshooter hit his 277th three pointer in the win, moving him to first in school history in made three point shots. 

“Obviously, a very good win,” head coach Tod Kowalczyk remarked after the game. “Give credit to our really good team defense.” 

The remark came after the Rockets forced the Bobcats to just a measly 32 percent shooting from the floor. First-year AJ Edu terrorized Bobcat shooters with five blocks off the bench, a consistency for him throughout the season.

“We always want to come out with an unbelieveable energy and toughness on the defensive end,” third-year Luke Knapke said after the teams impressive defensive performance. 

The Rockets will be home to face off against Central Michigan at 7 pm, Jan. 26, in Savage Arena.