Women’s basketball continues success vs BG

January 23, 2019

On January 19, the UT women’s basketball team led a huge second-half comeback to claim victory against I-75 rival Bowling Green in the Stroh Center at BGSU. Despite a tough first half, culminating with the Falcons leading 41-33 at the break, the Rockets launched into the second half, outscoring the Falcons by 22 points, to finally secure a winning 79-65 score for the Rockets.

Mikaela Boyd was the leading scorer for the Rockets, shooting 11-16 from the field, snagging six rebounds and collecting three steals.

Nakiah Black, Kaayla McIntyre and Mariella Santucci put up double digit scoring numbers, scoring 16, 15 and 13 points respectively.

BGSU came thundering out of the gates to establish an early lead, ending the first quarter with a 13-3 scoring streak, immediately establishing them as tough competitors. The Rockets attempted to rally in the second quarter, cutting the BGSU lead to just three. Yet, they found themselves unable to overcome BGSU before the half. 

The Rockets started the third quarter facing a 41-33 Bowling Green lead. Undeterred by this, the Rockets stepped up their game for the remainder of the game.

Toledo opened up the third quarter running up a 13-2 scoring streak against its rival. The Rockets refused to let up on the pressure for the remainder of the quarter as well, outscoring its opponent 23-10.

The fourth quarter largely remained the same as the third, with the Rockets holding control of the game. With just over four minutes left in the final period of play, Boyd put up a layup to bring the Rocket lead to double digits, where it would remain for the rest of the night.

The Rockets shot 45.2 percent from the field across the whole game, coming in a little lower in the first half and a little higher in the second half. Bowling Green made just 40 percent of its shots in the entire game, shooting as low as 26.92 percent in the second half, and as high as 53.57 percent in the first half.

In addition, the Rockets were dominant in the paint this game, with 40 of their points coming from the interior. For comparison, Bowling Green was only able to claim 28 points inside the paint.

Toledo also dominated the boards this game with a staggering 42 rebound total. BGSU grabbed 26 rebounds for its side, giving the Rockets the clear edge in this category, and perhaps contributing to the Rockets ending the game with over double the amount of second-chance points the Falcons could rack up.

"We knew this wasn’t going to be an easy game,” said head coach Tricia Cullop, who improved to 10-4 all-time against BGSU. “I thought we were more patient offensively and just all-around better defensively in the second half. In the first half, we were impatient at both ends of the floor, and as a result, we found ourselves down at the break.”

The Rockets will travel to face the Zips of Akron at 2 pm, Jan.26, in Akron, Ohio.