CCP puts high school students in college courses

February 6, 2019

At  the start of the semester, most instructors make their students do a short introduction.

Introductions typically follow the same format: the student’s name, grade and a “fun fact” or interest. In response to what grade a student is in, students may hear three words they are not familiar with, College Credit Plus, also known as CCP.

College Credit Plus is a program run by the state of Ohio where students seventh through 12th grade may apply to take college courses at any Ohio public university or participating private college.

While CCP is similar in many ways to dual enrollment, the current iteration of the program was implemented in 2013.

Being a public university, UT is one of the many schools in the state that has the program.

For students to start taking CCP courses at UT, they must apply as incoming students and be accepted. After acceptance to UT, students have the opportunity to take both online and in-person courses.

In return, the college classes CCP students take count for dual enrollment.

The opportunity for students to take CCP classes means that they could have over two years of college completed by the time they graduate high school.

Most students start out taking core classes, which commonly include college composition, entry math courses and sociology. Over time, they are able to take higher level classes through UT.

For many students, CCP is a way for them to start their higher education and get acclimated to taking college level courses.

Kari Dilworth, who is the success coach for UT’s CCP students, said that the number of students for the spring semester is around 660.

She added that the majority of UT’s CCP students come from Toledo Public Schools and surrounding suburbs; however, students from all around the state also take online classes.

Dilworth said that most CCP students “find it fairly easy to fit in” and do not experience any more difficulties than most incoming freshman.

“Treat them like any othe

r college student,”  Dilworth said. “A lot of our CCP are higher level high school students that are looking for that challenge so they might be good people to get to know for study partners.”

On average, CCP student take six to nine credit hours a semester, but some students take a full time schedule.

John Yerg II is a senior at Toledo Early College and one of the CCP students taking a full time schedule.

Yerg said that he is taking 16 credit hours and will graduate this May with a total of 72 credits.

“It has given me an advantage on people in my program already, considering that I am going to be 17 and already have 72 credits completed,” Yerg said.

He added that he has had no trouble fitting in with other students on campus and is in study groups with college students. Currently, Yerg is studying pre-med and plans to attend the UT this fall for pharmacy.

College Credit Plus is paid for through funding from the Ohio Department of Education.