O'Hara: Uplifting the community through Alpha Phi Omega

March 13, 2019

“Here’s to Alpha Phi Omega, loyal brothers we...”

Community service is a key part of being a Toledo Rocket. We have RockeTHON, Songfest, Big Event, all on top of the countless Greek life philanthropies and outreach from religious organizations.

If you ask anyone, chances are they are helping the community in more than one way.

“True to self and to each other, firm in loyalty…”

When I came to UT, I wanted to be part of an organization that had components of service, friendship, networking and leadership, but not the commitment or the social aspects that come with being in a sorority.

I wanted to continue the community service I loved to be a part of in high school and meet new people that shared the same passion as me.

“Daily working, daily striving, ever more to be…”

Alpha Phi Omega is a co-ed community service fraternity that my friend Hana introduced me to. I pledged during spring 2018 and was initiated the same semester. I pledged not knowing anyone except for Hana, but quickly became friends with all of my soon-to-be brothers.

“True to Alpha Phi Omega, our fraternity...”

We are involved in four pillars of community service: service to the nation, service to the community, service to the campus and service to the fraternity.

We do all sorts of different service events such as making dinner for families staying at the Ronald McDonald House, creating buttons and fundraising for mental health in our community, helping run events for the Boys and Girls Club and participating in Youth Service Day and National Service Week.

“Brothers clasp the hands of brothers, strong the circle we…”

Our dues are some of the lowest for a fraternity; we pay only $45 a semester.

We are nationally recognized by the fraternity as the Zeta Lambda chapter.

All of our active members are required to meet 15 hours of service, attend two fellowships and pay their dues every semester.

We are all linked by what we so lovingly call LFS, or leadership, friendship and service. It’s not so much of a motto, as it truly becomes a way of life.

“Ever mindful, ever serving, all humanity…”

My brothers have supported me through my educational endeavors, helped me develop my leadership and become some of my closest friends. We are passionate about our community and supporting everyone who needs it, brother or not.

We are inclusive, welcoming everyone with open arms and helping hearts.

“Now we raise our grateful voices, in our song to thee…”

Nothing can compare to the feeling someone gets when they get to see how they have helped someone else. Alpha Phi Omega has given me the opportunity to see the difference a homemade meal makes, witness what a celebration looks like through the eyes of a child again and listen to the community when they ask for help.

I have brothers in all 50 states that I know will always have my back.

“True to Alpha Phi Omega, may we always be…

APO!”

Meagan O’Hara is a third-year nursing major with a minor in philosophy.