Editorial: Why the future of Student Government should be female

March 27, 2019

We all know how important it is to stay politically active on all levels, be it nationally, regionally or locally. As a University of Toledo student, you also have a responsibility to know what’s going on politically on campus, challenging as it may be.

If you aren’t aware, candidates are currently campaigning for UT Student Government president and vice president positions for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Three tickets make up this year’s race: Cameron Forsythe and Dillon Horter, Becca Sturges and Maddie Lawson and Dhaval Bhakta and Jersey McClendon.

We know students are preoccupied with all the other important things going on in their lives and might not have ample time to make an informed decision.

Let us help you out.

The ticket that stands out for this year’s election is the duo of Sturges and Lawson, who are running a female-centered campaign specifically addressing women’s issues. The two want to make free feminine product dispensers available inside all women’s restrooms.

As the only female voices in the election, Sturges and Lawson bring light to a historically marginalized group.

Additionally, both Sturges and Lawson have been involved in UTSG since their freshman years and have experience to build off of.

Other initiatives they are including in their campaign include issues related to parking on campus, recognizing UT’s multicultural community and giving students more of a voice in the distribution of general fees.

Furthermore, Sturges and Lawson support “banning the box.” This initiative seeks to change UT admissions applications by eliminating questions about criminal history, likely giving more students a shot at an unbiased admissions process.

For these reasons and more, the Independent Collegian editorial board supports Sturges and Lawson for next year’s student body president and vice president.