UT softball battles rival BG in MAC doubleheader

April 2, 2019

The UT women’s softball team traveled south on I-75 to face off with rival Bowling Green. 

The first match of the doubleheader was a defensive battle, with both teams struggling to score throughout the contest. The first inning served as an outlier as both teams scored runs. 

For the Rockets, first-year Aubrey Reed was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the top of the first, giving a 1-0 lead to the visitors. However, the Rockets did not capitalize any more on the loaded bases. 

Once the Falcons went to bat, they utilized their opportunities. An error and a walk with the bases loaded gave the Falcons a lead they never relinquished. 

After the eventful first inning, the contest slowed to a crawl with runs coming few and far between for both squads. In the fourth, the Falcons struck again when Taylor Blevins belted a single that brought the runner home from third. 

The Rockets responded at the top of the sixth when Kylie Norwood notched her third hit of the match, a double that brought in a runner from second to cut BG’s lead to 3-2. 

Unfortunately for the Rockets, the score remained when they exhausted their last three outs in the top of the seventh inning, falling to their rivals 3-2. 

With a rematch slated for later in the day, the Rockets had the opportunity to avenge themselves.

The Rockets did just that when the bats came alive in the second inning of the second contest. 

The Rockets surged for six runs in the second inning. This play was capped off by fourth-year Megan Choate’s three-run homer. 

As a three-inning drought on the scoreboard ensued for the Rockets, the Falcons were etched into the 6-0 lead by putting three runs on the board, with two runs in the third and one in the fifth. 

Another offensive breakout in the final two frames propelled the Rockets to a victory. Katie Cozy smacked an RBI double in the sixth, and Choate found home on a Falcon error. 

The game was iced in the seventh for the Rockets, as singles from Reed, Taylor Weekly and Norwood and doubles from Choate and Raelyn Neal helped aid a five-run inning. 

Quick work was made of the Falcons lineup in the bottom of the seventh, resulting in a 13-4 Rocket victory.

Pitcher Erin Hunt claimed victory number six on the season by combining with relief pitcher Maggie McGurk for six strikeouts, as the Rockets improved their record to 10-18.

Hunt has been the Rockets unquestioned ace throughout the season, posting a 3.09 ERA and leading the team in wins. 

Norwood went 2-4  with 3 RBI’s and two runs, while Choate also went 2-4 with 5 RBI’s and a run.

Statistically, Norwood has been dominant all season long, batting .378 with three hoemruns and 23 RBI’s which are all three team bests. 

The Rockets have faced serious hiccups so far this season, after winning their first MAC title since 1992 last season. 

The two rivals were originally slated for a rubber match on Sunday, March 31, but the game was canceled.

The next match for the Rockets will take place at 3:00 pm on Friday, April 5 when they host Akron in a MAC showdown.