10 Toledo places for food and fun on a tight budget

April 11, 2019

College is a time when students do not have a lot of disposable income. Most of what we consume comes from the dining hall or from pre-packaged bags of ramen in our dorms and apartments.

Eating and being entertained are important for many college students; however, it can get pretty pricey. Here’s a list of the 10 best places for food and entertainment on a budget in Toledo.

1.    TGI Friday’s: Every day from 9 p.m. until they close, you can pay around $12 to eat unlimited appetizers. What college student doesn’t love endless food?

2.    Applebee’s: Much like the deal at TGI Friday’s, Applebee’s does half-priced apps from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to close every day. So, if you’re in the mood for some cheap cocktails and appetizers, Applebee’s is a great place to go!

3.    Cinemark Theaters: On Tuesdays, students can get discounted movie tickets for less than $5.75. Prices vary depending on the theater, but with the new Avengers movie coming out soon, you might as well go see it for a cheap price.

4.    Rice Boulevard: Sometimes you’re in the mood for some sushi, but that can get expensive real fast. For a single order of sushi at Rice Boulevard, it runs around $5, and the quality is amazing. So why not eat a bit healthier for a bargain?

5.    Toledo Museum of Art and Glass Museum: Students have free admission to the Toledo Museum of Art and the Glass Museum. Make a trip with your friends or a simple and inexpensive date night with that special someone.

6.    Toledo Botanical Gardens: When you want to get out a bit in nature, why not take a trip just down on Bancroft to see the beauty that is the Botanical Gardens? You’ll save quite a bit of money and gain some vitamin D while you’re visiting!

7.    Toledo Mud Hens and Walleye games: Depending on the season, a Mud Hens or Walleye game is a pretty cheap way to see some live sporting events and see the beautiful downtown Toledo area. For around $15 to $20 per ticket, you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the ballpark and downtown.

8.    Blaze Pizza: Sometimes you just want a pizza, and sometimes you don’t have your friends available to share it with you. For just $5.25, you can get a standard cheese pizza at Blaze, and, depending on the time of day, you can get a free drink to go along with any pizza purchase. What a great way to eat some ‘za and save some money in the process.

9.    Sip Coffee: Studying can be rough, and you may need some caffeine. For a great price and great variety, Sip Coffee has some amazing espresso, coffee and, my personal favorite, Jasmine tea. Not to mention, they have an incredible selection of seating in their coffee shop. So stop by, open your textbook and take a sip of something great!

10.  Taco Bell: It’s the infamous late-night eatery of the average college student, and no list would be complete without it. You can eat a feast of tacos, nachos and burritos for under $10, and with an excellent dollar menu in addition to already reasonable prices, you can ensure your midnight munchies will subside.

With an excellent variety of entertainment and food options around campus, it is easy to save money and enjoy yourself without breaking the bank.