UT struggles at Ball State and Buffalo, fall to 0-2 in MAC play

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Sophomore Saige Thomas prepares to spike the ball in Thursday's 3-2 lost to Ball State

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo women’s volleyball team continued to struggle through this season in Mid-American Conference opening weekend.

The Rockets (3-12, 0-2 MAC) opened conference play with a 3-2 home loss to Ball State (25-13, 25-18, 24-26, 11-25, 10-15) on Thursday before traveling to Buffalo on Saturday falling 3-1 (25-20, 19-25, 23-25, 14-25).

Freshman libero Maurissa Leonard led the Rockets defense with a season-high 32 digs against the Cardinals.

“She continues to improve and be the anchor of our back row,” said Head Coach Greg Smith.

Senior setter Alex Hines tallied a career-best 18 defensive saves while junior libero Maggie Johnston added 14 more for the Rockets.

The offense was paced by sophomore outside hitter Saige Thomas who tailed 16 kills. Freshman right side hitter Carly Townsend added 14 kills in her first MAC competition.

The Rockets started the game strong, taking the first 2 sets (25-13) and (25-18). Townsend set the tone early in the first set with six kills and a .667 attack percentage. The defense played tough as well holding Ball State to .000 attack percentage.

UT carried the momentum in the first set over to the second set. Townsend tallied five more kills and a .444 hit percentage. Leonard had 10 digs in the second set to help hold the Cardinals to a .042 attack percentage.

In the third set the Cardinals started to get things going, jumping out to a 14-7 advantage. The young UT team did not quit, battling back to tie the set at 23-23.

Ball State would prevail with two clutch blocks to win their first set of the match. The Cardinals would not look back taking the next two sets.

Senior middle blocker Kelly Hopkins paced the Cardinals with 12 kills and a match-high nine blocks. She was part of a Ball State effort that resulted in 19-9 advantage in the blocking department. Senior libero Kati Vasalakis was BSU’s defensive leader in the back row with 31 digs.

“I think we got the wind knocked out our sail after the third set,” Smith said. “After such a great a comeback the team barely had anything left in the tank to finish off the match.”

On Saturday UT traveled to New York to take on conference foe Buffalo (2-12, 1-1 MAC).

The Rockets would drop their third straight match of the year and currently sits in last place in the MAC West division.

Toledo offense was led against the Bulls by junior OH Mary O’Connor with 11 kills and Thomas with 10 kills. The defense rallied behind Johnston who recorded 20 digs and Leonard and Hines who recorded 14 and 12 digs respectfully. Hines also led the team with seven blocks.

Buffalo was led by a strong performance from Megan Wernette — who contributed 12 kills and 6 blocks — and Tessa Ooyama who racked up 23 digs.

The Rockets would win a very competitive first set (25-20) before dropping the next three sets. The offense struggled greatly as Buffalo held UT to a -.025 attack percentage as a team.

Toledo had a chance to take a 2-1 set lead in the third set. The two teams tied the score 10 times and met at a 23-23 points a piece. The Bulls managed to notch the next two points taking the set and eventually the match in the following set.

“I think it’s a combination of youth and injuries,” Smith said. “Losing two players to season-ending injuries doesn’t help an already young team.

“They are still learning how to bring it every night, which is different from high school or club.”

UT will return to make play when they return to Savage Arena to take on Western Michigan on Friday at 7 p.m. and Northern Illinois on Saturday at 5 p.m.